Search This Blog

Sunday 5 April 2020

'Feel Good' did what it says on the tin!



It's no secret that when I see a gay mini series with a hint of comedy yet realism and grit I will be there. Day or night, I will sniff it out! 'Feel Good' entered my radar a few weeks ago when I saw it on my feed. 'Feel Good' seems to follow a certain pattern of LGBTQ+ shows that I have noticed lately, and it is interesting to think about why this has become popular.

'Feel Good' revolves around a young gay comedian called Mae Martin. With many of Channel 4 Comedies obviously she is struggling quite a bit. Sound familiar? Well, if you have seen 'One Missipi' featuring  Tig Notaro it is a similar formula. But obviously, it works. Female gay comedians are important as they are usually mainstream's gateway to lesbian acceptance. This is highlighted most famously in the case of Ellen DeGeneres. Sandi Toskvig, Hannah Gadsby are a few others that do an amazing job bringing exposure to the masses.)

This is a great thing. Before pressing on episode one I did think to myself that the subject "felt a bit stale" but the trailer looked great and I wanted to see how it went. And I am glad I did. The leading plot of the show is Mae meeting a woman called George at one of her shows and they hit it off from there. Sometimes when I watch a show that portrays the lifestyle that I have, I feel concerned and clammy handed because the expectation is higher. The stakes are higher when you want reality reflected back at you. But that feeling of tension lifted very fast and I grew to love the commentary it had how their relationship begins, grows, and all of the bumps in between.

Mae suffers with an addictive personality and the whole way that this is handled in the show is very great to see. Humour is spread throughout the show peppered around the serious moments like a delicious buffet of script that I wish I could kiss. Little nuances like coming out to family, and your partner's perspective of what their future would be are all explored in such a thoughtful way. The cast brings some unexpected diamonds- such as Sophie Thompson who plays Maggie, Mae's eccentric "sponsor" and amazingly- Lisa Kudrow who plays Linda, Mae's mother. These are two actresses which bring an extra kookiness while helps the shows turn sprints into leaps. Not to mention- Charlotte Ritchie who plays George in an understated and quietly genius way.

Needless to say it's just a good show that hits you in the groin with your feelings. There is nothing shy about this mini-series and the sex talk is also aplenty and gives it an edge and an accuracy to what a real relationship looks like and the trials and tribulations which come with really getting to know someone. It's raw. And it reminded me of my favourite show of all time "Please Like Me" in some ways. I was pleased to have seen this and I think it's one of the best things I have seen from Channel 4 in a while. I consider myself a fan of Mae Martin now too, and I plan on finding more of her stand-up. In a section of media that still thirsts for representation, this is a show I am glad is available for all ages alike to see!

'Feel Good' is now streaming online on All4

No comments:

Post a Comment